View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #9
Aussie Girl

Re: Effexor for hot flashes

Coux,

I've been on ultra low dose mirtazapine (Remeron) - 1/3 to 1/2 a 15mm tablet. This is to get to sleep and go back to sleep when awoken by a hot flush. It doesn't have significant withdrawal effects at this dose.

Just getting enough sleep helped my mood enough to be able to cope with the constant flushes during the day. Thankfully, Autumn (Fall) is finally coming after extended Summer weather in my part of the world and this seems to reduce the flushes. I keep ice water by me and gulp it at the first hint of a flush. It seems to reduce the duration of the flush.

I did go through a bad patch a couple of weeks ago when I felt very low. My life is very complicated currently. Talking to a few people about if helped and gave me a better perspective.

Good luck with the Effexor, if you decide to go ahead and let me know if it works. It may take a little while to adjust to it and for it to help the flushes. I believe it helps about 50% of people with flushes. Only estrogen which we can't have does better than this. Start with a low dose, but talk to your doctor if you continue to feel down. A short course of Effexor at the higher antidepressant dosage carefully tailored off to a low dose may help. You don't have to take them forever.

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote