Thread: Here I am...
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Joanne S

Here I am...

It's been several months since I've logged on and was just thrilled to find messages from my HER2 sisters asking about me. Thank you so much!!!

I've kinda slipped into my own little world ---those who know me, know that I tend to do that at rougher times, but happy to say I'm doing better right now. Yay!

What's been going on with me??? Most of you know I was diagnosed with inoperable bc mets to the uterus. I went on Affinitor and Aromasin for 6 months. Unfortunately there was no reduction. I went for second opinions at the University of Michigan Hospital Cancer Center--- saw a breast cancer oncologist, gynecological oncologist, and radiation oncologist. All three doctors agreed my case was unique, but unfortunately could not offer any options. You may recall I was quite hesitant to have radiation because of the side effects. The doctors suggested I not get radiation at this time and that I wait until the time comes that the pain gets too much to handle, and then it would be strictly for palliative care-not treatment. Fortunately I don't have any pelvic pain. I was reminded that my prognosis in unknown – that cancer pretty much has a mind of it's own. No one can predict when it will decide to take over my body – only know that some day it will...

I went on Carboplatin and Taxol (chemotherapy)– cycle = once a week for 3 weeks and one week off. As expected, I lost 90% of my hair. The few strands of hair that remained turned pure white. Haaa-what a sight for sore eyes. After 5 months of chemo, the pain and numbness (neuropathy from Chemotherapy) in my feet increased so much, I was losing my balance and started falling---so I had to discontinue chemo. The good news is the chemo did it's job. My scans showed NO evidence of metastasis and my pelvic exam revealed 95%-100% reduction. Yay!!!

After chemotherapy, I started on anti-hormonal therapy pills. again. I have taking Fareston for four months. I just got the results of my follow-up PET Scan a few days ago. It does not show metatastic disease. Yay! However the scan revealed inhomogeneous uptake of the left hepatic lobe, metabolic activity in the uterine body and utero-cervical junction, and metabolic uptake in axial skeleton involving the spine, bone marrow and pelvis. Not really sure what all that means, but my oncologist indicated I should not be concerned at this time. She suggested continuing on Fareston (or possibly start Falsodex injections), get a pelvic follow-up with the gynecologic oncologist in April. I'm trying not to worry. After experiencing the shock of my initial metastatic diagnosis, I'm not as easily reactive now. I'm just taking it one day at at time and remind myself of The Serenity Prayer.

Now that I'm finally logged back on here, I need to read and find out how all of you are doing too.
Many hugs and prayers.
Attached Images

Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote