View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Coffee enemas...???!!!

Ann writes: Currently coffee enemas, used for liver detox, are considered alternative medicine. Acupuncture and even Yoga used to be thought of that way too. Things can change but SO SLOWLY.

Coffee enema info found here -- I HOPE...: http://annieappleseedproject.org/doc...enemas2014.pdf

As our Brenda used to say, something like -- I'D RATHER BE ANECDOTALLY ALIVE THAN STATISTICALLY DEAD.

When the West seriously addresses supplements, I hope I'm still around to say, I KNEW IT! But rather than wait for evidence, I have forged ahead on that front (per my oncological integrative doc in NYC) since '98. I can only tell you, I BELIEVE. And lots of studies concur. And lots of studies differ. My Inner Voice urged me to go ahead anyway.

I am hoping the above link works, so you can see what Ann says. She is back to every other day coffee enemas (I have personally never tried this, but am familiar with the Gerson plan and so "anecdotal" evidence from ca patients).

January 2014 Conferences and CAM issues (COMPLIMENTARY ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE)

Every day we spend time reading journals, articles, newsletters and other such to find interesting information.
We post on Facebook, sometimes Twitter and then use this e-newsletter to share interesting articles we found this month.
Generally it is as though there are two different worlds (maybe 3). The mainstream articles directed toward Oncologists with just about NO mention of any story but another clinical trial of a chemotherapy regimen minutely different than previous ones with minutely different outcomes. Usually not much clinical value. Almost no mention of any natural intervention. Though that said, ASCO - American Society for Clinical Oncology does publish stuff on ginger and yoga from time to time. To some degree we feel like Advocacy is working there. Those selling 'alternative' substances or using 'alternative' protocols dislike and mostly fear the mainstream. The folks in the middle are US, the people with cancer trying to make informed and educated decisions. Annie Appleseed Project strives to HELP.

March 6-8, 2014 Conference
Still time to REGISTER for Annie Appleseed Project's 8th Evidence-based Complementary & Alternative Cancer Therapies conference in West Palm Beach, FL.
large_box_bottom.gif
spacer.gif
Reducing Risk

This month there were quite a few articles discussing the COMBINED benefits of eating more fruits and vegetables along with moderate exercise. These are really two BREAKTHROUGH points we have always emphasized. (Combining healthy behaviors like eating well and being physically active without being athletic). Here's an interesting study - not surprising.

"A new multicountry study provides more evidence that certain dietary and lifestyle factors can increase the risk of developing cancer.

Results from the study, published in the January issue of Nutrients, show that smoking and diets rich in animal products have the strongest correlations with cancer incidence rates.

The strongest correlation with animal products was seen in cancers of the female... breast, corpus uteri, kidney, ovaries, pancreas, prostate, testicles, and thyroid, and in multiple myeloma."
J Nutrients. 2014;6:163-189.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Complementary Therapies aka Integrative Oncology

outdoors2 Anyone who uses conventional therapies knows that there are many adverse effects (we think that great marketing term 'side' effects doesn't really call it like it is). But you know since you are reading this newsletter, that there are a great many natural ways to reduce those toxicities. Here's an excerpt from the abstract for grapeseed extract.

" Recent studies have shown that the beneficial health effects promoted by consumption of grape and grape products are attributed to the unique mix of polyphenolic compounds. As the largest group of grape polyphenols, flavonoids are the main candidates considered to have biological properties, including but not limited to antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, antimicrobial, antiviral, cardioprotective, neuroprotective, and hepatoprotective activities. Here, we discuss the recent scientific advances supporting the beneficial health qualities of grape and grape-derived products, mechanisms of their biological activity, bioavailability, and their uses as nutraceuticals. The advantages of modern plant cell based biotechnology as an alternative method for production of grape nutraceuticals and improvement of their health qualities are also discussed."

Nutrients 2014, 6(1), 391-415

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternative Therapies

Last week we got a call from a woman who told us her sister had really benefited from using PolyMVA. This company has been a sometime sponsor, exhibitor at various of our conferences and an advertiser in the conference journal (only advertising we accept). So that was quite gratifying information. We do like to think we make good choices.

PolyMVA info

There are many options in the 'alternative' world, but not as many studies as we probably all would like.
More on Alternative Therapies

Bucket and 5' long tube As everyone probably knows 'alternative' refers to substances and protocols that are NOT used by conventional oncologists. Some people choose to use them if/when they are told by their doctor "there is nothing more we can do for you".

Some people choose alternative therapies because they have no faith in conventional treatments or are diagnosed late stage. Some people have other illnesses that preclude the use of conventional treatments due to the toxicities involved. BTW, never, that is NEVER just do conventional treatments. It is MUCH better for your body to combine with some complementary therapies. Acupuncture is recommended for all.

There's much more information in our Archive section on Alternative Treatments. And we'll speak with you directly if you wish. (561) 749-0084

8th Evidence-based Complementary & Alternative Cancer Therapies Conference information

We're gathering a variety of speakers with topics ranging from "Integrative Approaches to Molecular Target Therapy" from Dr. Keith Block, "Controversial issues in preventing and managing cancer including Salvestrols, vit D, K2, A and Iodine" from Dr. Michael Schachter, to “Hyperbaric medicine, nutritional strategies and ketone esters for the metabolic management of neurological diseases and cancer” from Dominic D'Agostino and grad student Angela Poff, and "Optimum sleep during cancer treatment and beyond", Dr. Ashwin Mehta.

Penny Block, PhD, "The Impact of Bio-Behavioral Interventions in Cancer Treatment and Cancer Outcomes" and Madhavi Kasam "Homeopathy - the Gentle Care".

Lots more speakers including our Patient panel where real people present what we like to call Patient-centered Evidence! Aggarwal long view

Will YOU be joining us this year?

NEW: Dr. Tony Jimenez, and Dickie Walls, AP.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote