View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
sarah

Re: active listening training

Great, thanks for this. Today we covered using open questions (ones which demand a full answer not just a yes or a no which is a closed question). confidentiality was stressed and not assuming something an example was someone on the phone was told by the carer that the patient couldn't talk so the listener suggested writing but of course that wasn't possible, obviously the carer would have suggested it. don't give advice - obviously no medical advice but make sure people come to their own conclusions - we can and do suggest getting a second (or third) opinion when a patient isn't sure what to do. never to say I would.....
anyway tomorrow's another day. I really want to know what to do when people ask those heavy questions that scare you! you know am I going to die? etc... so I hope these get covered well.
our group right now may talk over one another when we're just our core supporting group but when we're supporting someone I think we are good listeners and let people talk but apparently we should always act that way and never finish other people's sentences - husband and wives do this a lot but they say we shouldn't and we'll be happier so we'll see.
Personally you guys on this site has been fantastic and helped me personally alot, so thanks for that. I'll try to summarize some of the things. I also plan to ask some of the people I'm supporting now how they think I've changed and how they feel about it. I can only see this as positive. the proof will be in the pudding!