View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #34
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Tsh low -- what does it mean?

FINALLY! An update.

Got to see big endo man (who is a surgeon, but doesn't overreact and sell himself). Very bright. Listens. Gets it. Gets me.

Had my records as I prearranged a mnth ago in anticipation.
He told me I had 22 nodes. I did not know this. Only was told multiple. He put me on his table and ultrasounded his way around. Had a doc he was teaching, so I heard his dialogue with him and he also spoke directly to me. Lots of info. I love this! Not over my head. Full of details.

He investigated every single one of my nodes. Each from various angles. Those that look like comets are almost always benign. Those that look spongy -- same... On and on.

He sees absolutely no reason to be concerned. Nothing suspicious. No reason to biopsy. Most radiologists would say biopsy but he says I do not need this.

He also took lots of notes and sent his thoughts to my internist (as I now do not have an actual endocrinologist, having severed ties with the one who did not ever explain, discuss, included me in decisions as to how to proceed. Who thought I was hyperthyroid based on my low TSH and thought I might have a goiter.

We never discussed her read of my U/S, just that there were multiple nodes and they must be closely monitored and she could biopsy them. And she wanted me to go to the hospital for the uptake 123 test with radioactive iodine done on 2 consecutive days. Inject, wait, U/S or xray. Then repeat next day.

Doc surgeon said -- I am not hyperthyroid. I do not have a goiter. I could be followed by my internist. If my TSH is within 0 and 4 -- not to worry. If becomes elevated, return to him or see another endocrinologist. I have a lead on one for my husband and my dghtr.

I feel very relieved.

I have a batch of suggested blood tests from him, from cardiologist, from oncologist -- going next week. (NOTE: Have been down to only 1 immune booster a day w/200 selenium. THANK YOU FOR THE WAKE UP CALL ON THAT!)

I do not ever really take vitamin combos. I take 1 vitamin at a time. Isolating it, in capsule form if possible, preferably vegetarian. I don't like small amnts of this or that. I like to be in control. That 1 immune booster, which was affordable (vs the really expensive others) forced me to break my rule.

So hoping for YOUR supplements lists, ladies. So I can peruse and study. We need to share. We learn. Knowledge is always good. If not for us, to pass on to someone in need.

Oncologist today (every 6 mnth checkup). June I do my now annual (I have come a long, long, long way from ev 8 wks, to ev 3 mnths, then I recall begging for ev 4 mnths and was granted that but with a stern stipulation that NO LONGER... Finally I was semi annual and now -- annual AND WITH "NO" CONTRAST. WOOHOO. Blood work ev 6 mnths.

I'm the longest living Survivor of this onc. He says he talks about me all the time. Gives people hope. I do not have to tell you how much this means to me! It is a part of my mission! I am here for you. Anytime. That's what Sisters do...

When I finish my book, I pray it will reach many more and inspire and touch many more. When you have a goal that is for good, it will come to be! I BELIEVE!

If you have a doc who doesn't confer with you, listen to you, show a caring spirit, include you in team decisions (cause IT'S YOUR LIFE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT), if you have a doc whose staff doesn't return phone calls repeatedly even and especially during anxious times (trying to schedule scans, get biopsy results, get test results) -- you need to find another doc!

I am always a lady. But I do not allow others to disrespect me, especially when it comes to my health and well-being. That is the very least we can expect.

Now some surgeons are brilliant but have no time to talk or interest in advising or informing you. My onc today said when he has a choice of recommending one of those vs a really nice not so great surgeon, he goes with the former. I nodded. Exceptions have to be made. And surgeons are notorious for this inability to communicate.

When I had my core needle biopsy last August I truly lucked out. Excellent surgeon who was lovely and compassionate, and involved and talked me through from before till after. Sometimes there's a perfect storm. Plus -- it was benign.

Damn thing did hurt a lot more than I expected. Tender for quite a while in fact. Took much longer than I expected. But we got the job done. The something new was a little nothing. As I wish for each of you.

XOXO

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote