View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
evlin75

Re: Occult (silent, asymptomatic) brain metastases in her2+ patients

I guess my daughter Susan would be considered a success story initially as for the brain mets.
I think each case is an individual unique experience.
As I have previously posted, the original diagnoses was 2003 - invasive ductal. In less than two years - approximately 2005 it went to the hip bone. She went through a vaccine trial at John's Hopkins where she thought she was one of the ones who seemed to benefit at the time. However no boosters were ever available.
It was late summer of 2009 when she began vomiting - thought she had the flu. MRI showed a very large tennis ball sized tumor on the cerebellum. Had no previous warning signs - so definitely occult.
The surgeon in Miami told her removing it might leave her "gimpy". However it did not. He removed it all without problems. She then had WBR. returned to feeling good.
She seemed free of the tumors on subsequent MRIs.
It was spring of 2012 when the MRI showed the growths in the spine - larger in the thoracic region.
Also was noted a few dots on the cerebellum. Not known if this was tumors or scar tissue.
Must have been small tumors as they are gone now after the ommaya and spine punctures with Herceptin. and the Emend.
Emend has a track record of crossing the blood brain barrier and erasing tumors besides helping with the nausea.
Every case is individual. I do not think generalities apply.

Ev
http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...or-growth.aspx

Last edited by evlin75; 12-29-2013 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: adding link
evlin75 is offline   Reply With Quote