View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: To be reported at San Antonio,

If I am following the latest studies, the combination of neoadjuvant Paclitaxol, Herceptin & Tykerb is likely superior to THP, and likely inferior to neoadjuvant TCHP in randomized studies. It cannot be a direct comparison as the number of treatments are not equivalent.

It is time to stop randomized trials and compare against a standard. The best treatment should be found by functional profiling - like the recent approval for CLL.

The best treatment for a patient's cancer could be Tykerb, Herceptin and Paclitaxel, it could be Perjeta, Tykerb, Carboplatin & Adriamycin or it could simply be Herceptin. It could be that none are needed. It is time to stop using patients like lab rats and accept that using tumor and blood samples when possible best defines the concept of "first do no harm."

This information on Tykerb and Herceptin & Paclitaxel is wonderful, I like the concept of less chemo treatments.

I'm back on the soap box again - saying the system has reached its maximum effectiveness. Imagine if we select the group of women that this combination is most effective for by utilizing functional profiling. Tykerb, Herceptin & Paclitaxel could have a 90% effective rate for this group - until the industry stops trying to work around the best tool we have patients will continue to suffer needless chemotherapy and recurrences.

Stepping off the soap box now. . .

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote