View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
rhondalea

Re: Tsh low -- what does it mean?

You have Hashimoto's (the Anti-TPO result--yes, it could be Graves, but neither your labs nor the other antibody test you reported in an earlier post support that conclusion). Anti-TPO antibodies explain your other thyroid labs, bang, zoom, end of story. They also explain the nodules, although you still need to keep a close eye on them and think really hard about having the biopsy--better safe than sorry. I'll still go through the supplements, but they're not the reason you're having an issue.

I don't understand the result for Anti-TG Ab. Low is good. None is best. Are you sure it doesn't just say that your thyroglobulin (TG) is low? Either that, or there's a typo on the report, because thyroglobulin antibodies are not to be desired in any amount. Low thyroglobulin would fit with the anti-TPO AB too.

Be aware that endocrinology group-think is to not treat Hashimoto's, per se, but to treat the ultimate result--hypothyroidism. Low dose naltrexone has shown promise for suppressing antibodies and making Hashi's folks feel better, but the research isn't there yet--it's mostly all anecdote. Even at that, it might be worth talking about.

I need to go back and reread the whole thread now, because I think you mentioned symptoms that are almost always attributable to antibodies wreaking havoc on your system.

I would strongly suggest to you (as I suggested to NEDenise for her brain fog and other symptoms) that you give lecithin a shot. 15-30 grams a day in split doses should give you more energy and lessen your brain fog. I haven't quite figured out the connection between the cholingeric receptors and thyroid disease, but I know there is one, and more than that, I know lecithin is innocuous and it works. You don't need to worry about it being derived from soy--lecithin is so highly refined that it's irrelevant. Other than that, though, you should avoid both soy and iodine. You may also want to consider deep-sixing gingko, but we can talk more about that later.

This is like my daughter all over again. I said to her, "It's your thyroid." She finally got tested, and she said, "All my labs were normal." And I said, "Even the antibodies?" Blank look. "Uh, I forgot." (Because people with thyroid issues forget the most important things all the time.)

When she went back and had the antibodies done, they were raging. Internist gave her a referral to my endo. He did a full workup, and he put her on Tirosint (levothyroxine of the finest variety--I wouldn't taken anything else). He also considered giving her a beta blocker, because she was having what she thought were panic attacks--I knew they weren't because I'd had them too--but with the Tirosint working, she didn't need it. Thyroid had done a bunch of other things--her D was low, as was her B12, so she had to supplement, but as soon as her thyroid was under control, everything else fell into place.

You should look back as far as you can to see when the antibodies were first detected. This may have been going on for a long time.

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote