View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
Aussie Girl

Re: Tsh low -- what does it mean?

Dear Andi

The thyroid gets complicated once there are concurrent illnesses like cancer. You sound like you may have sub-clinical hyperthyroidism. This may or may not proceed on to full clinical hyperthyroidism. At this stage, it often just requires monitoring, but reduction in bone density can occur. Cardiac problems occur with clinical hyperthyroidism, but are much less likely if subclinical.

Personally, I'd consider having the radioactive scan to see if one of the nodules is "hot", a sign of overactivity. Hot nodules are almost never malignant. Diffuse increase in hotness (radioactivity) is more common in hyperthyroidism. Cold nodules on a scan can be either benign or malignant but the majority are benign (and many people have benign nodules). A fine needle biopsy is sometimes needed to check a nodule, particularly if it is growing or becoming dominant. All these tests are easy compared to breast cancer!

I don't like the sound of your endocrinologist much. A good primary care physician should know how to handle this also, but I know the medical system works differently in differently in the USA compared to Australia.

Good luck

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote