View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
jacqueline1102

Re: It should be the law...!

Greetings all,

You may find other posts by me regarding dense breasts as I have posted on this issue. Also, look up areyoudense.org. This is the organization which tracks the states implementing laws about informing women of their dense breasts. For years, I had my mammograms and was never told that I, too, had "exceptionally dense breasts" and that my BIRADS were a three on a scale from 1-5. A three means that the results are "probably benign" PLEASE pay attention to this point as I want you all to be aware of: there are two reports which are sent; one is sent to you which says "normal" in most cases and another report which is sent to your PCP. The report to the PCP details information about your breasts density and the information about the BIRADS scale. If you have dense breasts and your BIRADS is a three (or higher) more imaging needs done and that is through an ultrasound and/or and breasts MRI. A 4/5 will say needs more imaging. To make a long story short I was told by the imaging center that my PCP should have shared the information with me about my dense breasts; NOT the radiologist. Imagine my surprise when I asked for my records from my PCP and that my breasts were described as exceptionally dense and my BIRADS were a three. Not one time was an ultrasound or an MRI discussed with me. When I went through radiation my radiology oncologist said and I quote "The health care system failed you, Jackie." He said that he would have ordered a breast MRI on me immediately back in 2002. What you will find is that the imaging centers and the PCP's will punt the responsibility onto the other. So, for those states still in the legal process please ask your PCP for the report which was sent to them. I was told that the full report is typically not sent to women because "we don't want to alarm women and have women undergo unnecessary testing." Even the primary care physician residents I work with know nothing about the complexity of the dense breasts issue. And is reference to age, a former colleague of mine, a nurse practitioner said that only old women get dense breasts. It would be funny if it were not so tragic. So, check out the website and then determine if your story wants to be heard by your house and senate in your state. I now have another PCP and another imaging center which addresses breasts only. Remember this ladies, the health care system will protect it's own. And neither branch will out the other until there is a lawsuit. Whereas, I have metastatic disease, I will choose not to sue even though I have been told I have a case. When you settle, you can't talk about your case. I choose to be able to freely talk about my situation and the whole matter of dense breasts.

Take care,

Jackie

Take care,

Jackie
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote