View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
Aussie Girl

Re: First chemo treatment

Hi Lovemyboys3,

The Neulasta is well worth having as it markedly reduces the chance of having to be hospitalized for febrile neutropenia. You are much less likely to end up with a serious infection. You are less likely to have your chemo delayed because of persisting low white cells. If your white cells got down to zero, you are likely, like me, to have particularly sensitive to the chemo (in my case the carboplatin). Your doctor may reduce your carboplatin a little.

The side effects of Neulasta merge with the side effects of the other chemo. Some people get bone pain and it varies from cycle to cycle. It is usually mild to moderate, but can be severe. It is because the white cells are rapidly proliferating in your marrow and stretching the tiny nerves in there. The pain is usually treated with aminoacetophen/ paracetamol like the other aches and pains from chemo. You may also get some stinging, itching or bruising at the injection site.

Rarely people are allergic to the drug (as may occur rarely for most medications). This is usually mild (itching, rash), but very rarely severe (as in swelling and itching of throat, racing heartbeat, breathless, dizziness .........call the ambulance). The other rare significant reaction is stomach/ abdominal/ right shoulder pain due to swelling of the spleen or even rupture. This is again very rare. It is not recommended for people with prior spleen problems or sickle cell anemia and is not usually given during radiation therapy.

I hope that isn't too much information. I think the neulasta is definitely worth having. So far, I have only have mild aching legs from it when I forgot to take my paracetamol.

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote