View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #22
Lien

Re: Recently diagnosed @ 33 and scared

Hi LMB3

Clear nodes is excellent news, but I'm sorry you need re-excision. Stage 1a is about the best one can get. I had 1b 9 years 9 months ago, aged 44. I didn't have chemo, but did have rads with my lumpectomy. I think, in your case, I would have gone for mastectomy too.

About the choice for chemo or not: when I had to decide, they said: definitely not necessary, even though I had rapidly multiplying cells. They didn't even suggest hormonal therapy. But when I insisted, they gave it to me. I had young children and for me the bottom line was: could I explain to my kids why I didn't take this option, if it turned out I got a recurrence? Could I live with the decision if the disease metastasized?

For me, at the time, the answer was: I could explain why I didn't do chemo, but not why I didn't do hormonal tx.

I am lucky, so far, for not having had a recurrence. When I was diagnosed Herceptin was not an option here in the Netherlands. If I were diagnosed now, and I could only get Herceptin in combination with chemo, I think I would go for the chemo. You have to make sure that you are ok with whatever decision you make. Chemo is tough, but it is doable, I've been told.

I wish you wisdom and good advice!
And ofcourse: feel better soon and get all of this behind you. We will be with you all the way.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote