View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
kvogler

Re: Rad or mastectomy ?

I was diagnosed in July 2011. I was stage 2B. I did chemo, mastectomy, then radiation also. I don't regret my decision. For me, I would have regretted a lumpectomy. It makes me feel better thinking I hit it as hard as possible the first time around. I know survival rates are about the same, but it was a mental thing for me. I'm glad to look at my scar and see that the cancerous breast is gone. Could have done lumpectomy, but I wasn't well-endowed to begin with. (36B) Personally, I don't miss it as much as people think I should. I don't even think I'll do reconstruction even though insurance covers it since I had cancer. I wasn't the type of gal that wore low cut shirts anyway. It doesn't bother me to wear a bra with a prothesis and I've found swimsuits on the internet with prothesis pockets that actually look good. So it's a really personal choice. My advice is for her to really think about how much her breasts mean to her. If they are important, lumpectomy. If she's like me and honestly, honestly doesn't think that much of her boobs then possibly consider mastectomy. I had to do radiation no matter which operation I chose due to its characteristics.
kvogler is offline   Reply With Quote