Thread: Zoladex...
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Lien

Re: Zoladex...

I was diagnosed at age 44 and did 5 years of zoladex shots combined with Arimidex. After I quit the shots, my periods came back a year later. I had very few side effects, but did have significant bone density loss. I am 53 now and my periods have petered out. I had very few menopausal problems. I never had Herceptin and am 9 years out from diagnosis. Soon after my periods came back, we saw several cysts in my breasts on the annual ultrasound. I had a biopsy done last Sept. which came back benign. It was a bit worrysome, but not a very big deal. Last week I went skiing and made a nasty fall on an icy patch, but no fractures! Yeah! So either my bone density improved, or I got lucky.

I liked the fact that the Zoladex shots protected me against a recurrence, but were reversible. If I were you, I would go for the reversible option (Zoladex shots) for a couple of years and see how you do re. cholesterol, heart health, sexual health and bone density. These are very real issues and a hip fracture can kill you, just like breastcancer. You need to be able to weigh the pro's and cons. I would talk to other doctors besides oncologists if I were you. You are still so young! You need to consider all these things. Zoladex can buy you the time to figure out what works for you.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote