View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
chekmark

Re: What is the follow up?

For me they draw blood and look at my tumor markers. I am told this is pretty effective although I do worry about it. They tell me that no scans are done unless I have systems. They did do a bone scan and chest X-ray when I finished herceptin. At my follow up they ask me a few questions, do a breast exam and send me on my merry way. They listen to my lungs and feel around and that is it. I always wonder how that can be enough but I try to tell myself they are the professionals that do this every day so I try not to worry although I still do. It is scary not really feeling confident but we just try to move on. Scans are scary too so it's a no win situation. I ask what systems I am supposed to be looking for but never really get a good answer. Pain, lumps, fatigue. I get a blood draw a week before I see my oncologist and she recently bumped me to 6 months. Happy that I don't see her as often but concerned as well. Hope this helps. I only saw my oncologist about every 3 months while on herceptin only. I think it depends on your doc and what methods they use. i know others have had pet scans and brain MRI's but not me. Good luck to you.
DX Sept 30 2010 at the age of 49. Oh crap! 1.5 cm idc, stage 1 grade 3 er/pr+, her2+ no lymph nodes, mastectomy Oct/10. Started 6 rounds of TCH Dec/10 and will continue herceptin until Nov /11 and just started femara.
Stray kitten found my lump while I was playing with it. It is now my pet and my dog is not real happy about that.
Mammo good
last herceptin 11/21/11 YAY
reconstruction 12/09/11
Chapter closed 12/10/11, hopefully, fingers crossed
Bone scan, chest xray, clear
04/27/12 Expander removed, implant put in, ahh sigh of relief, much more comfortable
Sept 30, 2014, 4 years NED
chekmark is offline   Reply With Quote