View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
CoolBreeze

Re: NBC's Parenthood 2013........so, what do you think.

I've been a fan of this show since the very beginning and so was really disappointed when they were going to do a breast cancer storyline. They usually don't do it well on TV and go through all the cliches. The beautiful bald woman with eyelashes but no hair, the puking, etc. (I've been on 7 chemos and have never puked and I have sat in an infusion room every week for 3 years and almost everybody says they don't get sick. I know it still happens but it is now rare thanks to pre-meds, and yet Hollywood makes it seem like a given with chemo).

I kind of like they way they did it on Sex and the City as Samantha kept her normal life and just did a variety of wigs (like I thought I was going to until I discovered how uncomfortable they were!)

While they did show Kristina puking and sick, they showed her smoking dope to feel better. I'm not sure how I feel about that one. I guess, whatever. I know late stage people who are using marijuana but not early stagers, unless they liked to before.

And, of course, she still looks great although that bald cap with all her hair piled under looks pretty phony. She looks like an alien.

I like the way she is going about regular life, like most of us do. It might be cool if they showed some friendships that can happen in the infusion room.

I didn't understand why they made her husband get the wig. Isn't that the one thing women look forward to when knowing their hair will fall out? Or, if not look forward to, at least find fun? I know I did. The one she ended up with was pretty but she walked out of the Hotel without wearing it because of the color, which I think would have been more true to life if she had complained about the heat and itchiness.

On my blog I recorded and put up the scene where Adam says, 'Have you seen these women? They look like ghosts" about his fears of chemo. I have been doing chemo and while I'm not any beauty, I never was, I am pretty sure I don't look like a ghost! Again, I suppose it is a real fear of what chemo is but the reality is quite different.

I just hope they show her going on about her life and then just sleeping more and more and letting her family take care of things. But, that might make for boring TV.

And, if her husband is a "cancer doctor" (why did she say that instead of oncologist) then he knows HER2 outcomes. She'll be doing herceptin for a year, wonder if they'll keep it up after she's "cured" at the end of the season? Or, is she going to end up wearing pink and running for Komen?

It would be awesome of she had metastatic disease and died but that would just be a bit too real for Hollywood, wouldn't it? The most they would do is give it to her in the bones and then let her live 20 years with treatment.

I went through my first year of chemo without a port. I only got one because Navelbine burned me. I have great veins, even now.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote