View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
karen z

Re: 10 years of hormone suppression

Hi Janis,
Please do not regret your decision as it was (as far as anithormonals) pretty aggressive treatment then AND now. You were on something for 9.5 years. Even women in trials going on or recently closed have typically taken 10 years of something max (I noticed in the ATLAS article that the authors mentioned that perhaps the next wave of studies would be comparing women who had taken 15 years of T with those who had taken less). But that hasn't even happened yet. So, you were at the typical "max" for trials.....occurring now. I did notice that since you were early stage in 2000, and even though HER2 positive at the time, your signature does not include chemo or Herceptin is that right? If so, those may be other contributing factors, again......out of your control. I don't think any Stage 1 patients were likely to be getting Herceptin in 2000. I am just saying, and I can imagine how it would feel to get this news, is that I believe you did everything at the time that was "standard of care" and, as far as antihormonals, you and your doc were way ahead of the game. Plus, your BRCA indicates 1/2 neg. I am not sure what that means but likely another factor. Please keep all of these things in mind and do not feel that you were not "on top of things" at the time. It sounds like your treatment now is what you need (and folks know this now) and that you will beat this. Stay strong.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote