View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
jml

Re: taxol question #2 - hair loss

I lost all of my hair on the couple occassions I have been on Taxol, but I have a friend didnt lose any of her hair on Taxol and another that lost only about 50% of her hair on Taxotere. She cut her hair shorter & wore a wig on special occasions, but since finishing treatment her hair has grown back in nicely.
I've been on 14 different treatment lines over the past 10.5 yrs with Stage IV disease & have lost my hair on 4 occasions thus far. I will be starting taxotere in the upcoming weeks for disease progression and will likely lose my hair for the 5 the time.
Ironically, I didn't lose my hair while on Ixempra but fully expected to.
I'm crossing my fingers that luck may be on my side & offer me a little grace, let me be responsive to Taxotere AND keep my hair.
That being said, there's no way to know if you might be one of the "lucky" ones.
I have found that losing your hair to this disease doesn't get any easier or stop people from trivializing the situation by suggesting "Buy an electric pink wig!" or "But you look great with short hair," or my personal favorite "You totally rock that edgy look!"
Also, I know of two women who used the ice caps during their treatment to preserve their hair, vasoconstricting the blood vessels to the scalp & preventing chemo from reaching the hair follicles. One was successful , the other not so much. It looked like a pretty grueling, uncomfortable process and don't think it would ever be an option I would choose. Also, I don't think it's very well supported by Oncs.
Best of Luck & Keep the Faith~

Jml
jml is offline   Reply With Quote