View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
jml

Re: NED has left the building, and my body, but hopefully not my brain:(

Thank you so much for your support and encouragement my friends.
And FoB, thank you for sharing your experience with me.
My scans from September revealed a small node close to the SVC, but my docs didn't think it was large enough to compromise the vein. I immediately started doing research and discovered this condition, Superior Vena Cava Obstruction Syndrome.
We did a follow up echo, and all things looked okay. Ironically, my increasing HR was only 72bpm's on that day. Weird.
But in the last few weeks, as my HR has continued to increase, I started to put it all together as I was exhibiting more of the SVC symptoms - the facial edema - it reminded me of when I was on decadron for WBR last February- engorged jugular veins, constant feeling of fullness in my head and ears, especially when I bend over or crouch down, mild headache.
The severity of the facial edema fluctuates, especially depending on how long I've been lying down/sleeping. I now try and sleep propped up so that my head is higher than my heart. It also resolves a bit over the course of the day, so most people don't notice once I'm out and about or they have been too polite to say so.
I attributed many of these symptoms to residual effects of the WBR. I'm sad to say I was wrong.

Knowledge is power, so I will spend this weekend researching procedures to treat SVC - I'm leaning towards a stent. Just hope I'm a candidate & it's not too difficult a procedure. I'd rather not have more radiation, and as we're waiting for my next treatment, whatever that may be, to kick in I really want to address these symptoms and prevent them from worsening.

FoB, I'm sorry you've had to deal with this. I've followed your journey for many years here on this site & know the challenges you've faced. And I hate it that you feel so uncomfortable with the changes of your physical appearance as a result of SVC. Just one more humbling compromise that we make to accomodate this monster of a disease.

Thank you again my friends for your encouragement, compassion & support. We've had too much heartbreak and sadness among us lately.
The tide needs to change NOW.

Keeping the Faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote