View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Rolepaul

Re: A cheaper better way to manufacture herceptin, avastin, perjeta, TDM-1...Sheila w

Nina was able to come home in September, but flies to Houston every two weeks to get Intrathecal treatment. She gets IV treatment there each time, with a treatment in Raleigh every fourth week. This gets her 3 out of 4 IV Herceptin and Navelbine, and every two weeks IT Herceptin and Topotecan. It is amazing to watch them draw sixteen mls out of the Ommaya reservoir at her hairline, then put in the 5 mls of IT Herceptin, 5 mls of Topotecan, and six mls of the fluid that was withdrawn. About ten minutes altogether start to finish. That is what is keeping her alive. $5300 per treatment. That is better than a lawyer makes! Then back on the plane and home. Duke is not certain about doing it, which would save $800-1000 per month in travel. Any way, I know the people at Genentech that were working on it originally and the ones that were part of the team where they travelled to get the Mayastine conjugated. All I can tell you about my past is that I have done all of these and understand what it takes. Once you do it ten or so times, it becomes a whole lot easier.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote