View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Rolepaul

Re: A cheaper better way to manufacture herceptin, avastin, perjeta, TDM-1...Sheila w

Lani is right. The cost to produce a 440 mg vial of Trastuzumab is estimated at about $400, with the fermentation portion (okay this is where I have to estimate based on my experience on growing tippy cells) probably taking $100 of the 440 mg vial. Genentech Roche sells that vial for $2500, and the hospitals charge about $3500 per 120 mg dosing (including nurse time, tubing, and such). A reduction in price on the fermentation end from $100 to $25 would result in a reduction of the price for a single treatment of about $20 from the original $3500. This same concept was going to be done in goat and/or sheep milk and never proved viable. The patent will run out pretty quick on Herceptin, so then the generics will kick in, but generic injectibles do not see all that great of a price reduction. Again, this is from someone that has been in drug manufacturing for over 30 years. I am not sure what is needed to cut the cost and still hae safe treatments.
Rolepaul is offline   Reply With Quote