View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #41
Lien

Re: Diagnosed this month

Hi Raz,

I had a similar diagnosis almost 9 years ago now. I only did rads, followed by hormonal therapy at my own request. My children were 3, 7, 11 and 15 at the time and I just wanted to make as sure as humanly possible to do everything I could to be there while they were growing up. I never did herceptin. I did ask my doc about it, and he said the side effects were not worth the risk reduction in my case. At the time Herceptin was not commonly used in the Netherlands, where I live, so I trusted my doc and my still being here proves that at least some of us can do without it.

There has been some research on Herceptin for very early stage Her2 positive disease and it seems to improve one's chances. So that might be something to discuss with your medical team.

I was very concerned about the lumpectomy too, as it would be my first surgery. I recoverd quickly and barely needed the painkillers I was offered. I did develop and abcess at the lymph node resection scar a few weeks after surgery, but that's probably due to the fact that I have lots of allergies. I think my body reacted to the stitches. Actually, the abcess was much more painfull than the surgery.

You have an excellent prognosis and it sounds as if you are doing everything right. You got a second opinion, you follow medical advice, you eat well. Now if you make sure you get enough sleep and exercise regularly you will most likely be fine.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote