View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
DeenaH

Major regression for the first time in over a year!

It really is a miracle that this happened. I have a team of doctors (3 oncologists, 2 cardiologists, a pulmonologist and an integrative MD), and several of them really thought I was dying about 2 1/2 months ago. Tiny pieces of my cancer were breaking off and causing pulmonary emboli. I was on oxygen 24/7, and so dehydrated that I went stretches of time where I could barely remember anything that happened. When going to the doctor, I had to be wheeled into the office in a wheelchair and then had to lay down. I couldn't even sit up for long because of my breathing. We knew things were dire, but it wasn't until I came out of it that I knew how bad it was. I had
Lymphangetic spread throughout my lungs. My integrative doctor spent hours researching this for me, and found out that most cases of this are misdiagnosed (as mine was for 3 months), and is usually not discovered in time to reverse it. He also found that most cases of lymphangetic spread involve angiogenisis. in June 2011, I had chemosensitivity testing done and my cancer tested sensitive to sutant (an anti-angiogenisis drug). With this 2 piece of information, he strongly suggested that I start campaigning to get Avastin added to my treatment. My UCSF doctor agreed that that was a good treatment choice, but it would be nearly impossible to get approval for Avastin in my case. My private oncologist (not with an institution) also agreed when I brought it up at my next treatment. He gave it to me that day because he didn't think I would make it another week. I have been getting better and better (aside from some infections and some side effects), and I just had my first scan since being on Avastin. My tumors have all gotten smaller by 30-50%!!! The other doctors on my team are floored. The regime I am on is novel, but it is working! We had an idea that I may have the right genetic makeup for Avastin (VEGF+) because of the sensitivity to Sutant, but it was a jump of faith.

I didn't want to share unless I had good results because I know how hard it can be to get Avastin. But, it is worth fighting for if you think you might be VEGF+. The combo I am on is Herceotin/Avastin/Abraxane/Tykerb. I have to stop the Tykerb here and there if I have diarrhea because I get severely dehydrated, then the fluids cause pulmonary edema. But most of the time 2 pills a day is fine.

The holidays are going to be extra special this year! I'm hugging my babies tight and planning to be here a bit longer for them.
August 20, 2010: PET/CT showed no cancer in any nodes, and only a little uptake to the breast.
September 9, 2010: Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants and Alloderm.
September 16, 2010: Pathology report showed 18/51 positive axillary nodes, 3.2cm tumor. Granual sized cancer found in the fatty tissue between levels 1 and 2.
October 19, 2010: CT showed several spots on lungs and 1 spot on liver. Liver spot is 2mm, lung spots range from 2mm to 4mm. We don't know if they are cancer or not.
12/15/10: Brain MRI clear
1/7/11: PET/CT
1/13/11: Recurrence in lungs. Start Tykerb
5/13/11: Progression in lungs
6/3/11: Lung surgery to get tumors for chemosensitivity testing.
DeenaH is offline   Reply With Quote