View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
karen z

Re: Just sharing......

yes, Mary Jo.......perfectly said.
i had a "moment' last night that was tough. i started crying thinking about individuals I had met at SABCS who I could not/would not see again and other individuals and their families who are suffering so much right now........and at the same time how I feel so at home and free when I go to the conference and how much I laugh (and how much I want to slip into Macy's one ore time). I remember last year with one of the members (and i told her this)........"my God- you could be a comedy writer". And all of her sarcasm and jokes were in the midst of much pain. She was so damn funny. And it is a strange thing to be crying and laughing at the same time and feel so close. And, yes, this is not your average group of individuals. So much pain and so much joy.......at the same time. I thought again about this today as I sat in a faculty meeting. The outright pettiness and "point making' were difficult for me and I came close to leaning over to someone to say "once you have had cancer treatment......... all of this seems particularly ridiculous". But, alas, I quietly graded papers (on the sly) and realized that the majority of folks in the room did not yet understand. I am forever changed.
karen z is offline   Reply With Quote