View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Paula O

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

So what did everybody do for Thanksgiving?

We had a very nice family gathering at my sister-in-laws. Three of us women sitting at the table have battled breast cancer. My husband has a long line of women in his family with breast cancer (5-6 ladies) . I'm the first on my side. Anybody know at what age our daughters should start mammogram screening/SBE? Earlier than normal I imagine.

We shared laughter and tears. My BIL joked that he was going to be doing a mastectomy before he carved the turkey breast. My SIL said that her daughters have an 85% (YIKES!!!!)chance of also having breast cancer because of genetic disease she has. Whew, that's a heavy load to caarry. How I hope none of our girls have to deal with this. Last year my SIL had surgery because cancer had invaded both breasts and her kidney (different kind of cancer, not breast related) along with a pprophylactic complete hysterectomy and a whole bunch of reconstruction. This week she has a colonooscopy to follow up on 50 something polyps they saw 6 mos ago. Tough stuff.

My husband's aunt who was with us has battled breast, colon, and eyelid cancer.

Boy, I wish that we could get to the bottom of why cancer happens and what to really do with it to stop it in it's tracks and that genetic mutation messes would be a thing of the past.

Paula

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote