View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
caya

Re: paper cut nightmare

How are you doing Laureen? Sorry about the constant lymphedema for you :-)

My lymphedema was brought on by me slicing veggies - I sliced my index finger on my right hand ever so slightly, on a Friday afternoon, Saturday morning my right hand was swollen. It was 2 years after my mastectomy. I knew exactly what it was, called my breast surgeon's office on Monday morning, saw him on Tuesday. He told me I was right to come in so quickly, he thought with some therapy and massage it would be reversible.

For the most part, I have been lucky. I am very careful now not to lift heavy objects, no longer iron (I am serious about this, as the repetitive motions can aggravate lymphedema), and I can't iron with my left hand. I now vacuum with my left hand. And of course I am very very careful about slicing veggies etc. and papercuts - Dettol antiseptic and polysporin immediately.

I do wear a sleeve and gauntlet when I fly. For the most part, I have been okay. Sometimes in very hot humid weather my hand will swell up slightly, so I try to stay indoors in the A/C on those days.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote