View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
jacqueline1102

Re: Is there benefit in surgery for stage iv's

Hello Vonny,

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. In my case, Inflammatory breast cancer with one liver met albeit huge (4.6 cm) we did the trio of TCH for 6 rounds and because of my what they kept calling "significant response" surgery was conducted in March 2012. I went through radiation as well and continue on the hercepting and perjeta. I did not have any break during the surgery from my herceptin. The liver spot is now .6 mm. It's been exactly a year and my treatment team is pleased. I was informed that surgery became a go ahead because I was in good health, despite the cancer thing, and that my response to initial treatment was very good. I also pushed for it and brought in research that discusses how surgery helps prolong life with metastic breast cancer patients. The culture of medicine is changing around th surgery issue with stage IV women. In my case it was really good to have the surgery because coupled with the inflammatory breast cancer and the fact that my breasts were very dense, there were no indications of tumors underneath. The surgeon ended up removing a 1.5 cm tumor from my right breast. I am curious as if whether your daughter has dense breasts?
5/12-7/12 33 Radiation treatments
8/1/12 Started Perjeta along with the Herceptin
10/12 Scans said NED for first time
5/15 UWSeattle Vaccine Trial 3 months
12/16 Scans still show NED. Herceptin and Perjeta continue indef.
8/17 Taken off Perjeta;staying on Herceptin. Still NEAD.
3/18 Still NEAD
8/19 Now on Subcutaneous Herceptin
10/21 Remain on Subcutaneous Herceptin (Hylecta)
11/21 CT showed possible lung mets. Was told to wait and see until scan
1/22 CT shows continued growth
03/22 Lung Biopsy said sample was too small but nodules keep growing and IR is convinced that it is indeed cancer
04/22 Oncologist referred for consult for a transbronchial biopsy. This does not sound pleasant
jacqueline1102 is offline   Reply With Quote