View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #133
alicem

Re: Prayers needed for Sheila

Jen,

My heart goes out to you and your family. I cannot begin to tell you what your mother means to me. I love her like a sister, and am so glad that we were able to meet at SABCS in 2009.

When I first came to this forum she was so welcoming, not just to me, but to every newcomer. Over and over again there would be a new post from someone saying they were frightened and scared of the unknown. Sheila would be there to give words of wisdom and reassurance. How I love that about her.

Sheila has been so strong throughout her walk through cancer world. She has left no stone unturned and has done everything she possibly could to kick its butt. What grieves me so for both her and for Brenda, is that Herceptin was not available for early stage cancer when they were diagnosed. I know I shouldn't play the game of "what if", but I can't help it... and I cry because of it. Oh how I have cried.

Her love for you and for her granddaughter has touched me so. A song from the end of Les Miserables keeps coming to mind right now. Jean Valjean is dying, and his daughter Cosette is telling him "Papa, you're going to live...", he responds "Oh, Cosette...forbid me now to die. I'll obey, I will try...". Jen, I know that your mom would do anything in the world for you - if she could.

It is hard to be in this position. I was in your place in 1999 and remember not knowing what to pray for, Mom was suffering and had no quality of life. I did not want to pray for her to die, nor did I want to pray for her to live if it meant continued pain - just because I didn't want to lose her. My Pastor gave me great advice. He told me to pray for that peace which passes all understanding which only God can give. That's what I did and it got me through one of the most difficult times in my life. So, that is what I pray for you and for Sheila and for all of your family and loved ones. I pray that Sheila has no more pain, she has endured enough.

Please give her a hug and a kiss from me. I will miss Sheila's presence on this board and on Facebook. Please check in here from time to time to let us know how you and Jasmine are doing. When we lose a sister, it makes it a little easier to know that their family is doing okay.

With a very heavy heart I send my love,

Alice
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote