View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
caya

Re: One woman's account of her hair loss post chemo

Paula, I had thick curly coarse hair before chemo. If I wanted to blow it dry straight, it would take me 45 minutes. I had to use a lot of anti-frizz serum and gel to control my hair, whether I wore it curly or straight. I had stared to go grey in my early 30's (like my mother), and had to go every 4 weeks for a root touch up before BC. I was diagnosed about 5 weeks after my 48th birthday, I am now 54.

After chemo, my hair grew back much straighter, fine, and less gray (I can go 6 weeks between colours now) - I never had the post chemo grey curls that most women get. A blow dry is now 12 - 15 minutes. I now have to use volumizing shampoo and conditioner, something I never would have dreamed about in my life before BC. I still have to remind myself to use only the teeniest amount of product on my hair, because of the texture change. I am thrilled with my new hair, I figure if anything good came out of my cancer treatment, this was it!

I know some women have permanent hair loss after Taxotere, one of the chemos I had. My onc. never mentioned this possibility - I wonder in Jan. 2007 when I started chemo if this was a known (albeit rare) side effect? I agree it would be hard to never have new hair growth, no matter what the colour/texture.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote