View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Debbie L.

Re: vaccine results may not be as straight-forward as thought--a bit disconcerting!

Maybe if we could see the full text this would all be more easily grasped. Anyone have access? I get that they all began as HER2+ DCIS and that the ER- ones were more likely (although not ALL that likely) to end up with no disease.

But then the changing of phenotype -- what do we make of that? Is that GOOD news, to initially be HER2+/ER- and end up with TNBC phenotype? It doesn't seem like it would be good news. I may well be missing something.

I agree, Lani -- not very straightforward, but then the whole immunology field is SO complex. Plus, in this particular study, the numbers were very small, especially when they got to the subgroups.

As for vaccine studies that show "positive results" when what that means is a measurable immune response -- that is a pet peeve of mine. Cancer vaccines have been showing that for many years now, but when it comes to positive CLINICAL results (some effect on cancer and/or recurrence) there has been much less success. Like almost none.

I remain hopeful but often frustrated, re: cancer vaccines. It seems like the outlook is most rosy for primary and secondary prevention, and perhaps less hopeful (at least so far) for treatment of existing disease.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote