View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Debbie L.

Re: Is Radiation Needed?

Mary Jo, without all the details, we probably cannot give you definite answers.

But I think that we need to clarify that there is a major difference between mastectomy and lumpectomy, as far as radiation therapy. Radiation is STANDARD after lumpectomy, for any invasive breast cancer (and some DCIS). After lumpectomy, the radiation recommendation has nothing to do with tumor size, LVI, nodal involvement, etc. It is standard of care, because lumpectomy without radiation has an unacceptable rate of local recurrence.

As for not doing chemo, I don't know what you've read, but I've never heard a recommendation not to do chemo/Herceptin for a 1cm HER2+ tumor. The quandary right now is what is the smallest HER2+ tumor that should get chemo and/or Herceptin -- but they are talking under 5mm (.5cm) in that discussion, I believe.

I would recommend a second (or third) opinion from a comprehensive cancer center anyway, but even more strongly for you, when I hear you voicing doubts about your treatment recommendations. You want to be sure you have all the information that you desire on the table, that you fully understand that information, and that you trust your provider(s) -- before you make your decision. Good luck with that, and keep us posted about your thought process and your plans.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote