View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #47
NEDenise

Re: My Freak Accident

Karen and Rhondalea,
So sorry it took me so long to reply. I wasn't exactly sure how to respond. At first, I was really frustrated by this latest infirmity...but I'm over being bummed, and am back to looking on the bright side of things. I realized that I didn't let cancer drag me down...so it was just plain ridiculous to let this situation get to me!

The arm looks good. My surgeon is to be congratulated. Me, who went for the DIEP reconstruction because I didn't want foreign bodies (implants) in me forever...well now I have a metal plate and like...8 or 9 screws in my wrist. Permanently!

The surgeon took off the giant splint/bandage "thing" last week and they make a custom, removable brace for me to wear. I can take it off to shower. I can wear it in the pool. But...my arm still hurts. And when I take off the brace to stretch and do the little exercises he gave me...it hurts more. (Now, we're not talking Taxol quality bone pain. Not even as bad as Neulasta. But...it doesn't go away, either)

I can drive, and do a few things around the house, but I never realized how limiting it could be to be unable to rotate one's arm. As long as my thumb is pointed straight ahead (or at the ceiling, when my arm is bent) I'm good. Rotate just a little, and OUCH! Perhaps, that's why he told me not to do that until at least after I see him next month. Duh!

But, that means...no cutting veggies, no carrying cups, plates or glasses, no un-screwing anything, no typing with both hands, no holding a burger with two hands, no painting my own nails, no folding laundry...you get the picture.

To the great relief of everyone else in my household, I can still clean the bathrooms, and load the dishwasher. And, once someone else cuts up all the raw ingredients, I can cook too. Beyond those few housekeeping tasks, my husband and sons couldn't seem to care less about tidiness...so my dust bunnies will still be waiting for me when my wrist gets a little more limber.

So...the short answer is:
I'm good! Thanks for asking!
You are both on my list, when I count my blessings!

Be well my friends!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote