Thread: Outlaw Vit D?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Re: Outlaw Vit D?

Oh, Brenda, You are just as remarkable as I remember you. One fiesty lady. Full of good information. I still love 'ya!

As we get older our organs put out an increased demand for Vitamin D. I have my levels checked regularly. I am low to mid normal.

So I take 10,000 -- 5 days a week. And apparently I'm not overdosing.

I recall 50,000 being recommended -- before they (the powers that be) freaked.

My beloved NY Onc/Integrative Medicine doc says always best (though a bit inconvenient) to take less more times a day. Generally speaking. So I split my co-enzyme Q10 into AM and PM. I do that with a lot of my supplements.

And taking 50,000 once a week, though perhaps tempting doesn't appeal to me, with my Onc's perspective in mind.

I recall, Brenda, you posting -- a thousand yrs ago -- that your doc wants you to take certain supplements with meals, preferably IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MEAL.

You made me laugh. But I get it.

We all get negligent after a time having to swallow all those pills. I do. I truly dislike it. But I DO IT. EVERY SINGLE DAY. I SWALLOW EVERY ONE OF THOSE SUPPLEMENTS -- TO DETOXIFY, TO FIGHT OFF FREE RADICALS, TO BOOST MY ENERGY, TO BOOST MY HEART HEALTH AND MY IMMUNE SYSTEM, TO HELP MY BRAIN FUNCTION BETTER, TO HELP MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM FUNCTION MORE NORMALLY. It's a pain in the butt. But -- I BELIEVE they keep me healthy and well.

And, yes Jackie, (I think of you so often as you are always soooo incredibly amazing. A true Warrior Woman who has survived and thrived despite unimaginable challenges!) I get my supplements list from my doc in Manhattan, who is the only one of many I adore and admire who believes in supplements and for that matter, integrative medicine. Western medicine. We have a long way to go...

Though my Boca onc just told me that he realized he had to do something and now has someone who is well versed in supplements and integrative techniques come to the cancer center he directs down here every Thursday morning -- with an acupuncturist and a Yoga instructor -- to work with patients. YES!!!!!!!!!

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote