Thread: Who We Are
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #34
MikeF

Re: Who We Are

My name is Mike and Im the lucky husband of a wonderfull woman named Barb. Weve been married 31 years and Id be lying if I said they were all as wonderfull as she is. In our earlier years I was the typical young, selfish all about me husband. I dont know what she saw in me but I thank God she hung in there. We had 4 fantastic children 3 girls then "finally" a boy. December 16th 2009 is a day we will never forget, we were awakened at 3:00 AM by the local police requesting our presence at a home in town. We were told it had something to do with our oldest daughter who had been struggling to make sense of this life after a long relationship she was in fell apart. In the car on the way to this home we talked about our Kristen and what we could do to help her only to arrive and find out she had passed away in her sleep after apparently celebrating her 34th birthday a little to hard. An autopsy would be inconclusive and we were left to wonder WHY? Shortly after learning of Kristens death Barb became aware of a small lump in her left breast but just couldnt deal with it and attempted to sweep it under the rug so to speak. After several months of a nagging "pulled muscle" in her back I insisted we go to the doctor and this is when she shared her concerns of what she knew to be Breast Cancer. Needless to say after approximately 8 months of untreated activity the cancer spread to her spine and lungs. The doctors here have been great they treated the spot on her spine immediately with radiation then started Navelbine and Herceptin to try and get control of the cancer which they did for several months. Its been a roller-coaster ride neither of us would wish on anyone. There is so much hope on this site I have learned so much about treatments and the amazing spirit you all have within you. I lost my mother do Breast Cancer 25 years ago and can remember my father flying from the Chicago area to Philadelphia once a month for treatments. We have come so far since those days and have learned so much about how to treat this. God has been so good to Barb and I and our family in the last couple of years. We trust him to have His way with us and lean on Him for understanding. Thank you all for being here and showing us how to fight.
Radiation to spine
10/23/10StartNavelbine
11/19/10 Port installed
11/22/10 Started 2nd cycle
1/10/11 Finished 2nd cycle
1/24/11 Herceptin Only
3/7/11 progression, start Taxol/Herceptin
4/18/11 Skin mets appear increase treatments to weekly
rash spreads to right breast
7/5/11 enroll in TDM-1 study
7/29/11 randomly assigned Tykerb drop out of trial and start Tykerb /Herceptin no Xeloda skin mets gone Tykerb working
1/31/12 Skin mets return add Xeloda
5/9/12 Stop Tykerb skin mets back
5/17/12 Return to Navelbine/Herceptin
6/26/12 start process for TDM-1 compassionate access
8/28/12 Start TDM-1
10/9/12 third TDM-1 no response yet
10/23/12 Start Haloven
1/17/12 Start Perjeta/ Herceptin/Taxotere
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote