Thread: Fuming
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
swimangel72

Re: Fuming

I haven't been on this board for quite a while so excuse me if it appears I'm just barging in. Rhonda your complaints sound so similar to mine when I was getting Herceptin. I want to tell you it's perfectly OK (and normal) to switch doctors! I'm on my third oncologist! The first was a lovely man but his nurses were overworked and insensitive. Realizing I had to endure their attitudes (as well as the Herceptin) for a year forced me to find another oncologist. He was willing to continue the same treatments - and I stuck out the year with him because I loved the infusion nurses. However, soon enough I realized this doctor was more concerned about making money than answering my questions - after my last Herceptin infusion, he wanted me to continue to see him every three weeks, which my research showed was totally unnecessary. I got all my paperwork from his office then switched to the loveliest, caring oncologist (recommended by a friend at work) - and I've been with him since.

It took a lot of work (and courage) for me to switch away from the first oncologist - but believe it or not, it was the insurance company nurse (who would call me once a month) who encouraged me. She said she could tell I was getting more and more unhappy and I deserved to find an oncologist with better nurses. So I hope my story encourages you to find another oncologist who will continue your treatments but provide you with the concern, care and follow-up that you deserve! After all is said and done, it's not the infusions or meds that make an oncology office special - it's the PEOPLE!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote