View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #23
Jackie07

Re: Jackie's Father's Passing

When I read about how 'calorie restriction' prolongs life in mice experiements, I went 'Ah-ha!' because both Mother and Fahter have/had followed the practice.

Mother became a vegetarian after she had turned 60. It's a common practice for Buddhists to avoid 'killing' living creatures. She dropped 20 lbs and was slim and fit because she also practiced certain traditional exercise/western folk dance... She resumed normal diet after being diagnosed with NHL 14 years ago and will turn 89 late summer.

Father had always been lean and fit. He followed the Chinese 'mandarin' tradition which promotes self-discipline. When he gained weight while trying to quit smoking (eating chocolate as substitute), he abandoned the idea of quitting the habit he had picked up during the War. Instead, he gradually reduced the number of cigarettes and stayed with 4 a day (1 cigarette after each meal and before turning in). I was just told that he had completely quit the smoking habit about 12-15 years ago.

Father does have longivity genes - evidenced by his 7th Uncle who had lived to 99. [7 Uncle was a railroad engineer and was mistreated by the Chinese Communist because he had refused to join the Communist Party (they had hoped he would set a 'good example' for his kinfolks/neighbors/colleague)] He also practiced calorie restriction - following traditional Chinese teachings.

He never indulged himself and always reminded us the harm of 'over-sleeping', 'over-eating', 'over-joyful'...

Father had an 'innocent' flair of him - very straight-ward. He did not think 'flattering', 'painting a rosy picture', or 'putting on air' would do anybody any good. He does not believe in 'good-luck' - the 'General' put Father's regiment around the headquarter because Father had been known to be the lucky commander. While the other platoon had lost every soldier but 3 wounded ones in the very first battle (being ambushed when they were stepping off the airplane), the platoon led by Father only had three slightly wounded. No, it's not 'good-luck'. Father knew it, as did his superiors. Father had trained/drilled his soldiers well because he's the type that followed the book, followed his training, and followed good instinct.

And that's what he believed in raising kids. He had always stressed how we needed to be well prepared for life. He believed in hard work! He didn't believe in 'luck' because everything he had had, he had earned it himself!

[My Father-in-law, also a WWII veteran but 9 years younger than Father, has similar notion. It's amazing how much they are alike coming from the opposite sides of the Globe and of totally different cultures... But they both came from a poor region/background; both fought in WWII, both had worked as teacher/principal...]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 06-20-2012 at 02:58 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote