Thread: Asthma anyone?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
caya

Re: Asthma anyone?

Lois,I've never had asthma in my life. I have had allergies, but ragweed in August, not Spring allergies.
I had a terrible bout of bronchial infection this past winter - 2 months of wheezing, coughing - 4 antibiotics. My GP sent me for a chest Xray just to be sure that's all it was - must have been the asthma.

She said the asthma could have been there for awhile, and just come out recently. We did not have a big involved discussion about the cause of it, as she had just received the test results and called me because I had been quite worried when I saw her two days before. She had prescribed an Advair puffer for me in the winter, and again about 6 weeks ago because I felt a bit short of breath before I went to Florida in mid May. She did say it has been a terrible allergy season here in the Toronto area because we had such a warm March/April, everything in full bloom and lush, as you said. She told me to use the puffer 2x/day - once in the morning, once in the late afternoon. I also have a Ventalin puffer to use if I get really bad, and that hot humid weather is worse for asthma. That's why I felt short of breath in Florida, when we were there in May it was very humid.

I did bring up chemo and Herceptin as possible causes, who knows? She knows that Herceptin can cause heart damage, she did an EKG on me immediately in her office (it was fine). Also sent me for an echo, at the same clinic where I had the pulmonary test- no results yet on the echo. I will speak to my onc. about the asthma- I have an appointment with him next month, but I may call the office tomorrow to see him earlier. I am pretty upset about this. I think late side effects for Herceptin are still being discovered, because it has only been the past 5 or 6 years that Herceptin has been given to early stagers.
I'm thinking my onc. may know more about this than my GP.

Lois I hope all goes well with your biopsy. Please let us know.

Denise, thanks for letting me know about getting asthma as an adult.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!

Last edited by caya; 06-14-2012 at 09:28 PM..
caya is offline   Reply With Quote