Thread: Osteoporosis
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Mandamoo

Re: Osteoporosis

Thank you
I see my oncologist on Tuesday so we will discuss more. I think I may have some trouble with getting denosumab here in Australia for osteoporosis but my stage 4 status may get me over the line.
Elaine - thank you for your tips. I have been trying to include more calcium in my diet. I don't eat dairy so I have increased my green leafy veges though I am not a tofu fan maybe I will need to learn to like it. I eat nuts and almonds and take very large doses of calcium and vitamin D - I obviously need to add magnesium in. My calcium level have been below normal all throughout treatment and my D level was low but I have managed to get it up to a very good level now. I struggle a little with weight bearing exercise as I have had an unstable pelvis since my son was born and even brisk walking gives me significant lower back pain. I ride my bike but this is not weight bearing. I will book in to see the Physio and get some weights and other exercises to help.

My mum had her first broken bone in her 40's so I have a high genetic risk too. She has had success with fosomax but does have some issues with jaw necrosis. She has lost a lot of height and broken many Bones - she is amazing though with the amount of pain she endures.

I think denosumab is a self injectable so that would be good. I have a port that needs flushing every 6 weeks so going for a monthly infusion wouldn't hurt. I think my onc is keen on Zometa to start with so we'll see what happens. Hopefully with some work from me on my diet and exercise I can help too.
Thank you very much for your input.
22 February 2011 - Diagnosed Early Breast Cancer IDBC Stage2b (ER/PR -ve, Her2+ve +++) - 38 years old
(L) skin sparing mastectomy with tissue expander, axilla clearance (2/14 affected) clear margins.
Fec*3, Taxotere and herceptin*2 - stopped due to secondary diagnosis

June 24 2011 Stage IV - Skin met, axilla node, multiple lung lesions

Bolero3 trial - Navelbine, Hereptin weekly, daily Everolimus/Placebo
February 2012 - July 2012 Tykerb and Xeloda - skin mets resolved, Lungs initially dramatically reduced but growing again
August 2012 (turn 40!) tykerb and herceptin (denied compassionate use of TDM1) while holidaying in Italy!
September 2012 - January 2013 TDM1 as part of the Th3resa trial - lymph nodes resolved, lungs slowly progressing.
January 2013 - herceptin, carboplatin and Perjeta (compassionate access)
April 2013 - Some progression in lungs and lymph nodes - Abraxane, Herceptin and Perjeta
July 2013 - mixed response - dramatic reduction of most lung disease, progression of smaller lung nodules and cervical and hilar nodes - ? Add avastin.
Mandamoo is offline   Reply With Quote