Thread: Palliative Care
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #28
Mtngrl

Re: Palliative Care

This is such an amazing conversation. So many wise comments. So much love. I feel so privileged to be a part of this community.

It calls to mind something Anne Lamott said in Bird by Bird; Some Instructions on Writing and Life:

"I remind myself nearly every day of something that a doctor told me six months before my friend Pammy died. This was a doctor who always gave me straight answers. When I called on this one particular night, I was hoping she could put a positive slant on some distressing developments. She couldn't, but she said something that changed my life. 'Watch her carefully right now,' she said, 'because she's teaching you how to live.'

"I remind myself of this when I cannot get any work done: to live as if I am dying, because the truth is we are all terminal on this bus. To live as if we are dying gives us a chance to experience some real presence. Time is so full for people who are dying in a conscious way, full in the way that life is for children. They spend big round hours."

Emelie,

I wish you as many big, round hours as humanly possible. We're all going to die, sooner or later. But not everyone really manages to live.

L'chaim.

Love,
Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote