View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #23
AlaskaAngel

Re: trends that weight management is going to be important in treating HER2-positive

I think it managing weight gets caught up by health care providers because a) they are dealing with plenty of midriff bulge themselves and feel uncomfortable pointing the finger at someone else who is in denial, or b) they are young and fit and generally clueless about how difficult weight management IS, so they don't relate well to it. Even so, they shouldn't be let off the hook so easily, to where they just push more "miracle" drugs instead of encouraging stronger personal health responsibility.

And some cancer patients want to put aside whatever knowledge there is about body inflammation levels from excess fat, and instead hang onto the mind-set that "the medicine" will "take care of me" -- and they go for the "quick fix" involved in the belief that a one-time chemo/rads series and maybe daily pills will make it so they don't have to do the ongoing dieting and exercising.

I don't think it would be difficult for my sister to be weighed in at every visit, and given a graph of her progress or lack of it, with some kind of science-based estimate on the percentage of risk increase (or decrease) based on her height and weight.

I choose (somewhat unenthusiastically) to exercise and diet, knowing that it hasn't made me back into a person that is at all close to being Mrs. America.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote