View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Rosanne

Red face Re: Does cancer treatment age you?

I always wondered why I could not do things like people my own age. Yesterday I went to the optometrist thinking I might need a new prescription on my eyeglasses. Instead I was shocked to find out that at age 57 I am developing cataracts! My mother in her mid 80's just had cataract surgery! The doctor said it was from the cancer treatment. He said when the radiation kills the cancer cells it kills me too. I had breast cancer 3 times in 1998, 05 and 06, two lumpectomy's, radiation in 98 and 05, double mastectomy with lat flap reconstruction and oophrectomy in 06. I knew I had developed osteopenia after the cancer in 06 and knew I had bone spurs & degenerative arthritis in my spine so now it explains it. He said I would need cataract surgery in my mid to late 60's when most people are in their 70's so I realize even though I never had chemo I still aged 10 years and need to cut myself a little slack when I can't do what others do. I am still considered attractive and young looking for my age so they do not really understand how bad I feel a lot of the time. My sister died of breast cancer at age 46 even though it was detected as early as possible so I have to remind myself when I am getting on the pity pot and having a major feeling sorry for myself moment that I am still here. Besides the cancer I had so many other life problems but am determined to make it, exercise no matter how painful, eat right and be an example to my grown sons of how to keep going on when life gets so hard.