View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #37
Lani

Re: public information

Nana I have been researching papers the effect of herceptin on the central nervous system--her2 is important in the migration of the neural crest (precursor of the nervous system) in embryology, but not so much it seems in peripheral nerve repair in adulthood. It seems herceptin does have an effect on leprosy-- a good one, where there seems to be remyelination!

I am curious to find out whether being on herceptin and not your other MS drugs has a good effect on you.

My latest theory, since herceptin does not cross the blood-brain barrier, is that there might be an improvement of CNS injury (spinal cord or brain) due to an excess of Neuregulin -- it cannot bind to her3 peripherally as her3s are busy being bound up in her2-her3-herceptin complexes, leaving excess neuregulin to migrate to the CNS and improve CNS injuries.

Hope my theory is in some way correct and your MS does not suffer..

Dr.Ronald Levy at Stanford (inventor of rituxumab, the first monoclonal antibody approved--for lymphoma) once told me one of his colleagues' wife who had MS, had noted improvement while in herceptin.. Anecdotal, but intriguing!

Best of luck
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote