View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Britbee

Just when you think you are getting ahead

Back when I first learned I had cancer my oncologist told me I had HER2 type cancer and NO hormonal receptors. HER2+ ER 0/8 PR 0/8. I have this in writing by the oncologist's own hand. He also wrote down the steps I would have to take. 1. Surgery. 2 Chemotherapy. then he had 3 as hormonal therapy but crossed it through. 4 Radiation.
It seems now I am almost done chemo I am going to have to see a radiologist, at least hear what he has to say then decide what course of action to take.
When I went to the oncologist office today, after the usual preliminaries, his assistant says lets talk about hormonal therapy. I said I don't need it, she says yes you do you are PR 5/8. I said where did you get those numbers from, she said from a biopsy back in June 2011. I was so upset my son had to hold me down. Seriously???? When she realized I actually had no clue about the PR 5/8 stuff she says I have to talk to the oncologist myself in three weeks time and get this straightened out. REALLY!!. I thought cancer patients were not supposed to get stressed. I was already upset from two hospital visits this week, a urinary tract infection, and now this. Talk about knocking the wind out of my sails.
I was feeling really good, got through 5 chemotherapy sessions with the last one coming up tomorrow. Now this.
So who is at fault here?
The Oncologist? He was going by the results of the mastectomy, but still, did he not see these numbers in June after my biopsy? Or did he disregard them?
I know that with my next and last invasive chemotherapy being tomorrow I have to put this out of my mind for now. Nothing can be done about it till my next office visit. Getting through the next three weeks will be hard enough without dwelling on the fact that not only am I going to be having Herceptin for the next year but now they are talking 5 years of Tamoxifen also!!
Think I might have to spend the next three weeks in the fetal position IN BED!!
Lobular carcinoma in situ focal
Paget's disease of nipple
One of 12 axillary lymph nodes with metastatic carcinoma
Negative for extranodal extension
Metastic tumor deposit measures 1.5 cm in maximal dimension
ER 0/8 PR 0/8
Her2 +
Treatment node positive HER2+ breast cancer treatment
Chemotherapy FEC-DH
Herceptin for remainder of year.
Chemo starts November 25th 2011.
Blog: http://importanceofmammograms.wordpress.com/