View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
rhondalea

Re: I think I'll go to Portland...

I will spare you the details of the crazed nurse who tried to convince me I would be in agony if I didn't have the twilight sleep (vs. just a local). I caved (wasn't worth a fight, even though I'd have preferred to drive myself to and from the appointment), but I've read enough before and since to convince me that only the local was necessary. Oh well.

I have a cute little PORT-A-CATH® II POWER P.A.C. Polysulfone/Titanium Single-lumen Low Profile™ Portal (forgive the caps, but it's a cut and paste job). I had it inserted four days before my first chemo (July 15, 2011) and it has never given me a moment of trouble.

In the beginning, it was irritating because I had to deal with the Shoe-Goo-like substance they use to close incisions. After that came off, it was just a matter of becoming accustomed to the occasional twinge when I was active (reaching and such). Now, I only remember I have it when I'm in the infusion chair.

The caveat is that I had a BMX sans reconstruction, so I don't have to deal with bra straps. Everything I've read clearly indicates that you should pick a spot that won't be in their path. Seat belts can also be a issue, but mine is on the left*, so it's only an problem if someone else is driving. That doesn't happen often, and since it has healed, the few times I've been a passenger haven't been troublesome. Still, it would probably be best to mark up the "no port" zones with a Sharpie, and then negotiate with the doctor about placement. (I wish mine were a little higher, but I'm not sure that most people would agree.)

As for the infusions, I used the EMLA (numbing) cream just one time, and I decided it was more trouble than it's worth. No one numbs my arm when I have a routine blood draw at the lab, and it's certainly no more painful than that.

There are possible complications (Wikipedia actually has a list under its entry for "Port") at the time of insertion. You'll be told about them in excruciating detail before you sign the consent form, but the bottom line is that they're pretty rare.

As for me, I love my port, and I really wish I could use it for everything, because I'd just as soon never have a needle in my arm again.

*My other left, that is. I actually thought about it before I typed, and I still picked the wrong side. Sheesh.
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote