View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
BonnieR

Re: I think I'll go to Portland...

Welcome to the club. Well, I am a former member now.
The nursing staff really pushed for me to get one. Could only use one arm and my veins are small and evasive!
I recall being shown a little propaganda film about the port in the docs office. It was a Bard I think. Not power. It was installed as a surgical proceedure. I had an infusion the same day. I dont recommend that!
The doc and I measured where it might best be placed in terms of not interferring with straps etc. But the placement ended up not great. She said I did not have enough fat in my upper chest in which to plant it. Too bad they cant use thighs, I have enough fat there to bury one! Anyhow, it did protrude somewhat and was a pain in the ass in terms of straps rubbing. But, like so much of what we endure, it is a necessary evil and temporary. It certainly made all the needle work much easier. As someone mentioned, be sure a qualified person is accessing it, ie: when receiving contrast or something like that for xrays. Once they had to call a nurse in from the ER to the Xray dept. for me.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote