View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #374
R.B.

Re: The traditional diet of Greece and cancer.

I meant to do this at the weekend and got distracted, mostly usefully (-: but not always )-:

I have hesitated to post information that does not come directly out of trials, but I would recommend this book by impassioned scientists written from the knowledge gained in trying to sort out their own health issues. There are lots of good health books, but for me this flags some core health issues, some of which I have already raised on this site. I suspect the book is probably more accessible because it is written by people with a passion born of their own experience coming fresh to the subject. My totally revised and expanded book which I am trying to complete at the moment covers a lot of common ground with theirs, albeit from a different perspective. Trying to answer Karen z's post made me think I should highlight the book

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=781
http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Health...9178399&sr=8-1

I have had no contact with them but I do get a 'hat tip' in the notes - I suspect for my posts on this site.

This is their blog -http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

I do not agree with everything in it, but do agree with much of the general direction. I have found their book very useful, and though provoking.

I very much agree with the general direction of travel. The issue of what is the ideal mix of fats v carbs is more complex than they portray, which they acknowledge post book on their blog. They try to work out an ideal ratio and give their reasons for that, but nature throws exceptions, which exceptions beg questions.

For example Eskimos on a high marine (largely), often raw, meat / fish diet did not have western conditions, and neither did Indonesians who lived on a 97% carb diet eating mainly varieties of sweet potatoes. They each had their issues as a result of their diets - late development and small stature in the Indonesians - higher risk of cerebral hemorrhage in Eskimos - but both and all other tribes on traditional diets - no matter what the diet - had very low western diseases including BC - so the problem is not whole food but what we have done with it.

The Hunza who had very long lives ate grain -reportedly they lived well into their 100s - which suggests that grains are not inherently bad - but we have depleted soils, altered varieties, treat grains in storage, industrially process the result, . . . and now increasing numbers of people seem to have problems with grains . . .

I do think that wheat/ grains generally should be avoided unless fresh ground from organic sources, as industrial processing treatment in storage may (and based on small studies certain processes probably do) be leading to oxidative damage of the fats and proteins they contain. Grains also contain anti-nutrients which fermenting removes to a degree - our ancestors used to ferment grains - perversely we have worked out way of proving bread artificially in much shorter times because of economics. I think their argument that there are 'safer' carbs may have some basis, but in the negative some of these carbs may not be very nutrient rich.

I agree their arguments for keeping glucose levels under control, on the basis excess glucose leads to oxidation products, and glucose is arguably is a good fuel for cancer cells.

They also 'broadly' encapsulate the Omega 3:6 argument although they are not aware that plant based Omega 3 has important roles, as does plant based Omega 6, which is why an imbalance is so damaging, etc.

There is also lots of useful information on commonly deficient essential nutrients; Iodine, Vitamin D, minerals, vitamin K, some B vitamins etc.

They also raise the issue of the effect of different diets and fasting on the immune function, which lead me to start reading more on this very complex and fascinating issue.

This is a highly thought provoking and useful book that tries to explain why rather than just telling you to take things. So I return the compliment and hats off to Paul and Shou-Ching Jaminet. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=2

Tests that accurately disclose the status of many nutrients are simply not available. Even where they are available they are often only looking at one area eg blood. For example mineral levels in the blood will not tell you much about your bone mineral status.

As posted above, trying to get the dietary nutrients that meet our basic needs by using supplements to try and address the damage we have done to our foods is a bit of a guessing game. Even whole organic foods may well not contain the same levels of minerals as those eaten 50 years ago - which by then were already often depleted compared with foods from earlier in the century. . .

As ever it is important not to lose sight that the body is enormously complex, much is not know, we are all subtly different, so please discuss dietary changes etc with you medical and or dietary advisors.

Last edited by R.B.; 03-22-2012 at 04:03 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote