View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
CarolineC

Re: Decisions, decisions

Well, I've completed the 20 rad treatments and am now waiting to start Herceptin by itself on Fri. I had consulted with one onc in Kelowna (the bigger centre) and we decided chemo (either Docetaxel or Navelbine) with Herceptin and no hormonal treatment during or after. Then I come home and after talking to the local onc I got the feeling he didn't think chemo should happen for now. He said there have been studies that Letrozole and Herceptin have been effective. He has set me up for Herceptin by itself until the next step.
Have any of you been on the anti-hormone and Herceptin or have you done the chemo and Herceptin. I would like to hit it again aggressively and then back off to Herceptin but of course I'm flip-flopping on what type of chemo and even if I should do chemo. At least the first time I just followed protocol and was told what my treatment would be, but now there are decisions to be made by me. I'm even wondering if I should be having Herceptin this one time or just wait until the New Year to start chemo and H. The local onc also said that Docetaxel is abit more effective than Navelbine. I was leaning towards Navelbine because I have Raynaud's and don't know how my hands would take the frozen mitts while on Docetaxel and I wanted to keep my hair so I could be as "normal" as possible for my son and daughters. Now I feel that if there's a chance to keep it in remission I would lose my hair and do anything I could for a more effective, although more toxic treatment. Arrghhh! I also saw a dentist who treats cancer patients and she suggested I see an endodontist for a possible root canal before I start chemo and that is next week.

Jackie, I think I will PM the members you suggested. I was so busy while away with my company trying to keep my mind off everything, but now that I'm home I have to focus and make my decision so that I can move on.

Any suggestions?
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote