View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
CarolineC

Re: Decisions, decisions

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your responses. Tricia, I live about 10 minutes from the British Columbia/Washingston state border; about 2 hours from Spokane, WA. In my past experience I was helped by the BC Cancer Agency at 1-888-939-3333 who connected me with someone with a similar diagnosis-maybe they can help your friend find a support group or be connected with someone who will help her.

Jackie,
Thank you so much for your information! I will try to contact the members on this board who have had experience with bone mets.

I haven't posted for awhile because I've been so busy-the rib problem has had me visiting 3 different physiotherapists to alleviate the pain I have- everytime I have to lay on the bed for radiation I have pain in my right shoulder that is finally starting to get better. I've had 13 treatments out of 20 and am applying alot of Glaxol Base cream at least 3 times a day. I've had alot of company over the past few weeks, and last Tues I had my 50th birthday- never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd be spending my birthday having radiation. The receptionists at the cancer clinic blew bubbles for me when I arrived and some women that I met from the local support group last year when I had 25 treatments of radiation gave me birthday cards as well as a nice ornament that said "believe". I am blessed.

Coobreeze, I'm trying to understand exactly what has happened in my situation. I have a 3 cm area of my sternum that has been destroyed by cancer either from a lymph node or when the cells were circulating through my body they settled in the area. (?) They're not quite sure what happened but the radiation oncologist wants to treat it aggressively, hence the 20 treatments which will overlap partly with the previously treated area. So far I'm just taking one day at a time.

The plan is also to have a different chemo than the first time. Docetaxel has been mentioned but yesterday I discussed maybe another chemo that will be just as effective like Navelbine (?). I will start that along with Herceptin after my radiation and the onc suggested to wait until after Christmas but I have most likely had this for at least 6 months so am willing to start ASAP instead of waiting for anything more to happen. It's hard to decide what to do because the docs have said it's unusual to be only in one place and it will most likely recur. I'd like to think if I'm aggressive for a second time that I can be NED like some of you. Even though my met is in my sternum I'm almost identifying with Coolbreeze in that it is in one place and would like to think I won't have to deal with this anymore.

The receptors have changed from 90% ER+ to 15%, I am now PR- and the HER2 part is 3+. I will most likely start the chemo through my arm for the first treatment and have the port reinserted in the New Year. I will stop the Letrozole during chemo but continue to take the bone-building Clodronate. Has anyone had the same experience? Any suggestions for chemo?
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote