View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
emmastarr

What should I do?

Hello Ladies,
Had my 6 month visit with the Onc this week, it went Okish. She asked whether I had any side effects on Tamoxifen and I mentionned the very heavy periods that I'm having. She went to ask a colleague whether I would be a suitable candidate to try Zoldex and they said no. She then went on to say that "I have good news for you, my colleague says you can finish tamoxifen". Of course, I was very shocked only having had tamoxifen for over a year and given that my tumour was very ER+. I got home and rang my breast nurse who was a bit shocked too so she spoke to the Onc on my behalf to question why no zoladex/tamoxifen? Usually zoladex only given to node positive people apparently and also the tamoxifen would only give me 0.3% benefit - could tamoxifen really only give me such a small benefit? Well, in the end he has given me 3 options: no further treatment, stay on tamoxifen and then after pressure from my nurse has said that I could try zoladex for 2 years. So, what would you guys do? Obviously, zoladex will give me a whole new load of side effects? Is zoladex more effective than tamoxifen in preventing recurrence?
Also, I mentionned a little lower back pain that I had been having which is worse at the end of the day, probably (hoping that it is) due to picking up my little boys, (has been better the past couple of days) but they have referred me for a bone scan- so am agitated about that. Not having had a bone scan before, where do they inject you prior to the scan? Am stll very needle phobic!!
My Onc says there is no data to show which is more effective. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Emma
Lymph nodes clear, no vascular invasion
Stage 1, grade 1, ER+, PR-, HER2+
Had 5x FEC, on tamoxifen and herceptin
emmastarr is offline   Reply With Quote