View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Jean

Re: older women not benefiting as much - I wonder????

Elaine,
I have to agree. While older bc patients certainly have to be considered at a higher risk for treatments I had to wonder if dx Her2 ...at the very least why not treat with Herceptin (in the case that the chemo maybe too difficult).

Recently my Aunt had gotten a severe cold. When I went in to visit (and note she is in a good care center) yet they were rather dismissive of her situation. My Aunt was not taking her meds by mouth. So I insisted they move her to the hospital and she was put on IV antibiotic. In a few days she was herself. The staff dr. had an attitude well she is 96...I was very shocked with the attitude.
Then reading this article it was another peek into that attitude. Then along with the features that many older patents (such as my Aunt) may not have family or friends to assist and help make quality choices. It is of concern.
I certainly realize that as one ages quality along with care is vital but I have to admit there is an attitude of, well they are old !
I was annoyed that the dr. at the care center would more or less not be concerned that she would only become worse if not taken oral meds. While bc is a huge leap from a bad cold dx. it is the attitude that I believe goes with treatment that I am thinking is wrong.

LoisAnn you sound like a strong wise women. So happy that your daughter is involved with your treatment. Most important you are working with cutting edge dr. which always proves to be a strong advantage.

Jackie interesting concept: There is still much data to be considered.

Best Wishes and Blessing to all.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 11-11-2011 at 03:37 AM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote